5 reasons why Graduates are reevaluating their career options
1. Competition: "I have applied for 30 jobs, and still no luck". Without a doubt, toughening job markets and increased competition has led graduates to consider other viable routes to employment. Whether it be starting a business of their own, or working in a start up company, or completely differing from what they studied. We get the sense that students are getting desperate and either taking what they can get, or revaluating their situation and thinking long term.
2. Expecting more: After 3 years of studying and incurring student debt. Graduates want things to happen fast, with this notion we have come to see more ambition and more drive. Why rest on the laurels of others, if you can control your own destiny?
3. Unfulfilling roles: Perceptions are changing and money is far from the key driver to success. Graduates want more than a 9-5 office job, that includes the same robotic tasks and the same feeling of "Oh great, not another day at the office, I can't wait till the weekend". If your employees feel this way, you have some real troubles.
4. It’s becoming trendy: With the growing trend of individuals wishing to be an entrepreneur, more and more businesses are starting every year. Graduates wish to be in this scene and so we have seen many more student led enterprises. Being in business shouldn’t be encouraged just because your friend is doing it; you need the passion, determination and drive to steer through every obstacle that comes in your path.
5. Lack of Autonomy: One of the major reasons that big firms struggle to retain their employees, is the lack of autonomy and unwillingness to let employees get on with their work. Give employees responsibility, but also give them the support to know that you are there to help them if things go slightly wrong. Autonomy is a great thing, but it still requires some control and measuring.