Interview with Jason Gibbs Managing Director and Co-Founder of www.comparetheuni.com
1) What inspires you about the world of business and made you start 'compare the uni' ?
The world of business is very exciting. No two days are the same and everyday you are faced with new challenges and new opportunities. What excites me the most about business is the organic element of growing and nurturing something!
Me (Jason Gibbs) and my business partner Yash Bheeroo were inspired to start Comparetheuni from our own personal experiences of applying to university. We found the process time consuming as we had to visit various websites and use various resources. We realised there was a gap in the market to produce a university comparison site which would enable prospective students to complete all of their research on one site, thus saving students time and effort.
2) Tell us a little bit about 'compare the uni' ?
Comparetheuni.com is a university comparison site aimed at prospective university students, that makes comparing universities in the UK easier and less time-consuming with the integration of :
- An A-Z course list for every university in the UK •The Times and The Guardian league tables (completely free!)
- Profiles of people that have been to university and those that haven't. (bankers,accountants e.t.c.)
- Career Ladders showing the different and varied routes into each career
- A Hidden gems forum- information regarding the best places to eat,drink,party and socialise
- Interview and application advice directly from an admissions officer
- A unique head to head system
By using our head to head system a prospective student can compare universities and their respective courses side by side for:
- Tuition fees
- Average rent
- Employment rates
- Male-female ratios and much more!
3) What steps did you take when you realised it could be a viable business venture?
When we realised that Comparetheuni could be a viable business we prepared a business plan, created a presentation pack to show investors and then sought funding.
4) What has been your biggest struggle and success till date with the website?
Our biggest struggle to date was obtaining funding. Firstly we looked for grants however, the majority of grants require you to be unemployed or take a very long time to come through. Therefore, we made the decision to get a private investor on board.
Our biggest success to date has been launching on the 1st of November and being viewed in over 65 countries. In addition, being awarded a Future 100 award ,celebrating the top 100 young social entrepreneurs in the UK, in our first month!
5) What tips do you have for budding entrepreneurs?
Starting a new business is similar to having a new born baby girl! You have to put in long hours in order to help her grow effectively and nurture her into the success you envision! Although she may keep you awake screaming and requiring attention late at night you dont mind as she is your own! Treat your business like your baby and it will grow!
6) Can anyone be an entrepreneur?
Anybody can be an entrepreneur. Provided you have passion and drive nothing is impossible. The word "impossible" itself says, im-possible!
7) What's in store for the future?
We aim to be the no.1 university comparison site providing students worldwide with an easy and effective way to compare universities in the UK. We have also just signed a partnership which will enable us to provide users (not only students) with discounts in over 2500 retailers if they go through our site! In addition, we will have printable vouchers with offers such as 2 for 1 at pizza express, on our site every week! So sign up to the mailing list to be informed about our discount site and other news!
Visit Comparetheuni at : www.comparetheuni.com